Saturday, January 03, 2009

Proof That Change is Now.......Or Else.

This is an email I just received from an Evangelical Christian....who is a member of what I called the "Kind Cult".....people I grouped together because I thought I observed actual Jesus-like concerns and behavior.

Happy New Year

I want to be the first to send you Happy New Year greetings.

As I reflect on 2008, I can say we had a great year:

Blacks are happy; Obama was elected.

Whites are happy; OJ is in jail.

Democrats are happy; George Bush is leaving office.

Republicans are happy: Democrats will finally quit saying George Bush stole the 2000 election.

And all of us are happy; the election is finally over!

2009 should be even better: Immediately after his inauguration, Obama will balance the budget, revive the economy, solve the real estate problem, solve the auto industry problem, solve our gas/alternative energy problem, stop the fires and mudslides in California, ban hurricanes and tornadoes, stop identity theft, reverse global warming, find Osama, solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,
get rid of corruption in government and achieve
world peace. Then on the 7 th day, He will rest.

Best Wishes for 2009 to you and yours

Sally

My response.....probably over the top, but I think Jesus is with me on this one.

Sally...

Sorry....this is the most offensive post I have received in a while. And I get emails from racist scum.

I don't question your spiritual values in any way shape or form. I commend them.

But.....sarcastically slamming Obama after eight years of George Bush confuses me. Here is a Christian who actually goes to church and believes in Christ, and seeks to reverse the wholesale corruption of our basic institutions that has led us down this nightmare path we are on.....not to mention the accompanied wholesale destruction of our cities and environment for short term financial gains for equally corrupt corporate institutions.....

Someone who seeks to actually continue Jesus' work in bringing all peoples of all colors together in equality.....and reversing a cynical and racist policy of denying basic protections of equal rights under the law to anyone not white and rich.

And you are making fun?

For once, I would like to see some of you white Christians out actually helping the people who need help. I consider myself a sinner and a screw-up, and a lost soul.....but in this past month I have worked extra hard on my understanding of the Seven Corporal Works of Mercy that Jesus laid down back in the day.

Visit the sick. Bury the dead. Clothe the naked. Visit the imprisoned. Feed the hungry. Relieve the thirsty. Dress the naked.

Believe me, I have hit all the marks......and my new lawyer thinks that I am nuts, and that no judge will think otherwise.

And I have done this with my own hands, and face to face with those who I was trying to help.....not by writing a check, but by getting my hands dirty.....like Jesus did. None of these people are anyone you would even want to look at, much less touch.....and none of them would ever make it into your home or church.

Well, the Nigerians are pretty cute......but do you even know where the jail is?

Point out to me in one single case where the Bush Administration has not actively gutted every existing social and governmental institution designed to do exactly these same seven corporal works of mercy.

I am attaching Caravaggio's painting that seeked to embody all of these to make it easy for lazy people to remember. Maybe you could print it out and look at it once in a while. Maybe you could envision the might and skill and tradition of American government actually mobilizing behind policies like these.......

Policies that the Barack Obama you ridicule embraces.....and policies George W. Bush has run from and made mockery of.

I would write more.....but I am late visiting my oldest friend and client who just had a stroke and is non-responsive in Hospice. I hope to arrive before Corporal Work of Mercy Number One fades into Corporal Work of Mercy Number Two. It is either that, or go try to find a cabin in Cachagua for my other friend who is freaking out after six weeks of caring for his dying grandchild and needs a break.....also before CWM 1 fades into CWM2.

And....while you are at it......

Take your obnoxious, condescending, racist, anti-Christian sarcasm....bundle it together, hold it tight, bend over, and kiss my ass.

Jesus agrees.

The REAL Jesus.

He is the one in the painting........

Oh, yeah.

Happy New Year.

M

3 Comments:

Blogger MtWoman said...

"Believe me, I have hit all the marks......and my new lawyer thinks that I am nuts, and that no judge will think otherwise"

You need Hunter S. Thompson's lawyer...Oscar Zeta Acosta...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Zeta_Acosta

He wouldn't mind...

10:29 AM  
Blogger semi-savant said...

Christianity might be a good thing if anyone ever tried it ~ shaw

2:23 PM  
Blogger Alex Lallos said...

Wow- Just wow

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home