Sunday, November 23, 2008

Are you smarter than a Mexican........

My mom teaches a ESL class at The Store on Sundays and Wednesdays. No surprise, her students are all from Mexico, and virtually all female. As I have said before, the class is the cutest thing in the world. Anyone feeling down and depressed about the state of the American Ideal, just come on by. The Statue of Liberty makes guest appearances and stands in the corner by the bar: "Give me your tired, oppressed, etc......huddled masses yearning to be free."

I have been piggy-backing with a few of the fathers of the group who are legal residents, working on their citizenship exam preparation. It has been really instructive and really hard during the Bush Administration teaching about the Separation of Powers and the Bill of Rights when any idiot with limited English skills can read in a bad newspaper like The Herald about the destruction of the above at every moment of the last eight years of our national political lives.

So.....are you ready for a little test yourselves?

Come on......Take the test.

Don't feel bad if you screw up. Our elected officials score about 44%, and the general population not much better at 49%. Our zip code is way ahead of the curve at 72%.

To pass the citizenship test, you need a score something above half, I am pretty sure.

Oh.....and as a member of the Mayflower Society......I object to all the answers on the one question I missed, goddammit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bennie Spiedel said...

I took the test...

72.73%

I feel ashamed for not doing better.

Bennie

10:08 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

Thank god/dess I didn't put in my zipcode - they won't know where I live and I didn't bring our area's average down.

YOU grew up on the East Coast. My excuse is that I had a left coast edumacation. That explains everything!!!!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Pexster said...

I missed two. I claim decades of substance abuse as the reason!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home