Friday, May 22, 2009

Crosses.....

Here is an email from a Marine who is one of eight who have personally painted 5,000 42" wooden stakes white....with brushes..... for our Memorial Day project. They are also downloading all the data for the KIA (Killed In Action) for transfer to Avery labels to affix to the crosspieces for our crosses for Monday.


Good Morning Sir,

Unfortunately the list is still not completed. i'm going to try to get excused from "Safety Training day" so that i can continue compiling the list. If I don't get permission to work on it during day, it will be done by the night. I believe we should be close to completed. I haven't heard the status from the others, but i know that 2008 and 2009 were still unassigned awaiting someone to finish their assigned year. I've been working diligently on 2004 and it seems to be the highest KIA count year. We are working around the clock and trying to get you this ASAP. Thank you for allowing us to be involved in such an honorable memorial service, sir.

Regards,
PFC Anish S. Parmar

Words fail me.

Many thanks to Jeff and Sam for sponsoring some of this work.

I can't find the little tool that allows me to insert fotos into the blog. I dropped off our 30th gallon of paint on Thursday at DLI. The kids have been handpainting every stake and stacking them next to the old barns by the Goodwill dropoff point off Pvt Bolio Road just above Fisherman's Wharf. They are stacked five or six deep to dry.....and completely surround all the surface areas of all the buildings in the area.

I was just returning from burying my buddy.....and spending a long, emotional, sleepless night with his family.......but seeing all of those stakes starting to morph into representations of actual souls of our lost young people is overwhelming.

We have two ex-Mayors of Carmel in our Monday inventory......and a poet/professor ACLU observer.....and a platoon of current Army volunteers led by a greivously wounded West Point grad who confers with Obama semi-weekly.....and we are walking the fine line between asking for help from our public and clinging to the shreds of secrecy that will allow us to pull this off......

Former Mayor Jean Grace tells me that Carmel Beach is 18 acres. Our project gives a square meter to each dead soul....a total of one and a quarter acres......less than ten percent. One would hope that the City of Carmel could give up 8 percent of its beach for eight hours one day out of the year to honor the sacrifice of our lost service folk.

But....you never know.

Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger tereazevedo said...

YES THIS COMMENT IS ALL IN CAP'S-ADJUST! ;)I SPENT HOURS READING THE WORDS WRITTEN AND I BELIEVE MY LIFE WILL BE CHANGED FOREVER. YOU SEE...MY FRIEND RON RAGSDALE AND I HAD A CHILD IN 1977 WHILE LIVING ON THE FEATHERBOW RANCH. NO POWER, NO WATER, BUT WE HAD A FAIRY PATH THRU THE WOODS, AND F'N COOL FULL MOON PARTIES! THERE WAS A MAN IN A WHEELCHAIR AND A STRANGE FRENCH WOMAN MARRIED TO DON GATES, WHO OWNED THE RANCH AT THE TIME. THERE WAS A MAN WHO SOLD CARS AND HIS FAMILY AT THE TOP IN AN A FRAME AND THAT MIDNITE PEE-CAN....SOOO MANY MEMORIES OF THE "HYLTON STORE" AND THE MARBLE CONE FIRE...WE MADE ENOUGH TO LIVE ON FOR A YEAR FIGHTING THAT FIRE. I HEARD "THE PRARIE HOME COMPANION" FOR THE FIRST TIME OUT THERE....BLESS YOU FOR YOUR BLOG. I COULD GO ON, BUT I WON'T. I'M OLD NOW BUT REMEMBERING THEN MAKES ME FEEL YOUNG AGAIN ! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I NEEDED THIS.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Don Gates was my father. He has passed away. I am Barry Gates, his youngest son. I lived on Featherbow as a child and have many memories of that A-frame on top of the hill. I don’t think I know the strange French woman, but he did have an interesting bunch of folks living there.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home